[bisq-contrib] Comment on Account Age Witness

sqrrm sqrrm1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 21:43:19 UTC 2017

I've looked through the account age code and feel I have a reasonable grasp of it now. The checks and non network stuff look reasonable and well contained.

I just have a few questions on the handling of unseen accounts.

1. It looks like a new  AccountAgeWitness is created if none is found when a trade is initiated (AccountAgeWitnessService::getWitness()). ... After starting to ask this question i realize that's fine, even if there would somehow be a mismatch with the seednodes witness data. Also, there is no good reason there would be a mismatch.

2. The request for data from seednodes doesn't really save data by specifying which witnesses are not needed if I understood it right. Each hash will be sent as an id for the unneeded witnesses, and that's the data - time. So maybe 8 bytes saved, unless that's eaten up by overhead. That shouldn't be a problem at this point but in the example of 1 million users, with say all of them already in the local storage, that's still more than 20MB in the exclude req on startup. I guess with witnesses shipped with Bisq then it would only need to specify which version it is to avoid sending all the data from before that version.

3. Is there a need to have account age check done by buyers of the sellers account? I'm not very well versed in scams so it might well be that there is a need for that too.

Cheers