[bisq-contrib] How to deal with the B2X fork?

Chris Beams chris at beams.io
Tue Nov 7 12:30:35 UTC 2017

> On Nov 6, 2017, at 11:22 AM, sqrrm <sqrrm1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/11/17 00:58, Manfred Karrer wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> if we would go for the option of “trusted BTC nodes” as protection against B2X (and fighting the bloom filter issue with it as well) we have to prepare soon for it as we need quite a few btc full nodes. It will also requires some code changes and testing.
>>
>> Could you give feedback what you think about it?
>
> I don't really like the idea since it goes against the distributed nature of Bisq. Having said that, unfortunately at this point I can't think of a better option, it seems worse to take the risk of bitcoinj doing a reorg creating a lot of trouble for users and arbitrators.

I’ve got a full node running at btc.beams.io:8333, and have already configured my Bisq client to talk to it (and only it) [1].

I guess what we’re talking about doing here is providing a first-class option in Bisq’s settings that, when activated, would set the list of “custom Bitcoin network peers” to a pre-defined set of full nodes that Bisq contributors operate, and that we attest will always be running the latest Bitcoin Core software (0.15.0.1 presently).

I think this is a nice option provided that we make it clear to users exactly what it means, i.e. explain it to users in the UI something like the way that I just did above.

[1]: https://imgur.com/a/TGoG2