[bisq-network/proposals] [WIP] User support (#82)
notifications at github.com
Tue May 7 15:05:03 UTC 2019
> _This is a Bisq Network proposal. Please familiarize yourself with the [submission and review process](https://docs.bisq.network/proposals.html)._
<!-- Please do not remove the text above. -->
When a user creates a support issue, the developer providing support has 2 goals in mind:
1. Help the user solve her problem.
2. Prevent other users from facing the same problem.
Sometimes both goals are achieved by doing just one task, e.g. solving the bug. Sometimes there is a quick workaround for the user and while the bug is difficult to reproduce.
Then, there are some other challenges:
1. user report is generally not exhaustive: they usually write something like “I have a problem buying bitcoin” while the developer expects a step-by-step list of what they did and what they got, the logs, the bisq version she is using, etc.
- Use issue templates.
2. The user is just interested in getting her problem solved and sometimes are not very eager to cooperate to fix the bug.
- Don't provide the workaround until the developer can reproduce the bug.
3. On most cases, the user takes hours/days to reply and the developer can’t talk to the user over the phone.
4. The user usually reports the problem after trying several times, that makes it difficult to find the original cause.
5. There are plenty of things logged as ERROR on the logs. Most of them are not real errors (mostly connection problems), which makes it hard to discover the real errors.
- Solution: log connectivity issues as WARN.
- i don’t know how many parts of the bisq app work (mainly focused on the bitcoinj side) and don’t know who to ask help to apart from manfred.
- user sharing log file, exposing privacy online. Solution: send logs privately to the developer working on the case. User be able to distinguish real developer vs a fake one just trying to get user’s private data.
- Can’t find the full stack trace.
- e.printStackTrace() - prints to the console, not the log file
- throw new CryptoException("Signature verification failed" + e.getMessage()); - just gets the original message not the stack trace.
- i end up asking user to do a restore from seed for a corrupted wallet and can’t fix the bug that caused the corrupted wallet.
- Eg https://github.com/bisq-network/bisq/issues/2797
- support repo and also issues on bisq.
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the bisq-github